Monday, October 11, 2010

FALL...My Favorite Season of ALL!

Apples and Fall Leaves....Wonderful!
"Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn."
- Elizabeth Lawrence
y

There is something so special to me about the season of fall.  When I was a little girl, we lived next door to my paternal grandmother and grandfather.  She and my grandfather would religiously take a trip to the Smokey Mountains each fall.  Being the only grandchild at the time, I had the privilege of accompanying them each year.  She would pack a picnic lunch of her famous iron skillet fried chicken, homemade buttermilk biscuits, and several small bottles of Coke.  Our journey would begin early in the morning and we'd stop for lunch at a roadside pull-off on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  The crisp air and the beautiful leaves in colors of rich crimson, gold and orange, was exciting to me.  We would then travel in to Cherokee and Maggie Valley where we would stay the night.  A visit to Ghost Town or the Cherokee village was always on the agenda the next day.  My least favorite part was the visit to Cherokee village...you see, I was always afraid of the Indians!  The would be dressed in their traditional clothing and that scared me to death!  I think that grandmother got one photo of me standing pretty far away from a Chief.  The funny thing about that photo was that was dressed so cute in a little frilly dress but had a corn cob pipe hanging out of my mouth and looking over at the Indian as if to say, "You just stay over there mister!"

Since my childhood, the Smokey Mountains have been my place of refuge, comfort, and a place where I escape to if I really need to think.  Never has there been a place where I feel more at home, at peace, and full of joy.  I miss the mountains when I don't get to visit each year, but I know that one day I will be there forever!  So, for now, I think and dream of that special place and enjoy photos that remind me of my favorite season...FALL!

0 comments: