Sunday, December 5, 2010

With a Thankful Heart

It's the most wonderful time of the year...a time to reflect and remember the things that are most important in your life.

Over the past year, I feel as though I have been driving down a country road in the mountains with its ups and downs, curves and swerves, and sometimes bumps along the way.  Country roads usually have two lanes, and take you much longer to travel than by highway.  The scenery is usually picturesque, yet as a driver, you must always keep your eyes on the road - because you just never know what is around the next curve.  There is always a bit of stress while traveling these country roads because of the unknown, so you have to focus, making sure you have both hands on the steering wheel in the ten and two position (as taught in Driver's Ed class), and for some reason I have to turn the radio down while driving in order to see better.

As 2010 began, we had spent several months trying to adjust from our summer in Alaska, praying and asking God what the next step was, yet heard nothing - crickets - noda!  I call that, "sitting on the shelf" and my temperament does NOT like just sitting and doing nothing! I thought I was completely finished with teaching and was anxiously awaiting God to speak to me in an audible voice as to what the next journey would be.  Still...crickets!  What was the deal??

As I sat one day with a friend in Starbucks, thinking I was just "helping" her with some home school ideas, we began to discuss the possibility of me tutoring her daughter for a class.  In my mind, I was thinking, "NO WAY", I am SO done with teaching.  The more we talked the more ideas about what I would do keep flooding my brain AND heart.  Before to long, I was agreeing to tutor her daughter for the school year.  What? Teach again?  Haven't I been around this mountain?  Do I really want to go there?  However, God knew the plans He had made for me for HIS purpose.  So, I'm not really finished as a teacher?  You've got to be kidding me!

As the school year began, I had to laugh...not only was I privately tutoring two students, I was teaching in a local group setting - three more classes.  Okay God...what next?  My leisure, yet stressful, drive down that country road turned into a roller coaster ride - especially when I got bit by the Black Widow Spider - which by the way, pulled the rug right out from underneath me for eight weeks (see previous posts for that explanation).

As the school year progressed, I was happy and content, knowing that for this season, I was back in the classroom again and really loving it!  The students were awesome and I felt as thought I was back in the game. 

To bring you up to date...God moves in mysterious ways sometimes and knows our future WAY before we do.  I now have been hired by an incredible school in Orlando, as a teacher, and we'll be moving to that area at the end of December.  I am still pinching myself about this one!  What an honor it is to be affiliated with such a school as this one. 

My son, Adam, has just been sworn in to the Army and will be leaving for boot camp at the end of March.  We are extremely proud of him, however, my mommy heart is saddened at the thought of him being in the military...what if he gets deployed?  I now know what every mother feels about their children serving our country and the unknown. 

For this ride down my personal country road, I am grateful.  Grateful that the Lord orders my steps, that He continually takes care of us, that He is our provider and healer, and He knows what is best for me - no matter "how I drive"... He gets to be the pilot, not me, and I feel safe!

I pray that you have a wonderful, blessed, Christmas season with your family and friends.  Buckle your seat belts - I'm sure it will be a great ride!

Blessings,
~Pamela~

0 comments: